Friday, July 2, 2010

the work begins

From the get go we knew we would be required to install a new well as the previous well pump had been removed some years earlier resulting in 60+ feet of rusted pipe. Between the two of us our well knowledge was pretty much zilch. It turns out a well in this region is between 80-230 feet deep and is your only source of fresh water if you live outside one of the few cities in the area.

The one nice part about Michigan unlike the city of Chicago or maybe most of the places I have lived in is that the labor is relatively cheap. Home fixes that would cost a couple thousand in Chicago cost a third of the price in our town. It all adds up, especially when dealing with wells and septics and roofs and flooring and you get it, I’m sure.

Before we could have the well guys drill 130 feet into our backyard we had to fall a tree! We got our gloves on, crappy power saw running and long sleeves/jeans on a 95 degree day.


This is our well; it isn’t anything I expected it to be. I think I may have watched The Ring one too many times as I was convinced it was going to be a well comprised of brick with a three foot wide opening I would have to shield my children away from. I guess well’s have gained some technological advances despite their primitive design. As our neighbor put it, “I keep mine uncovered, because that’s a $4600 piece of PVC.” We will be shopping for a cute little nautical themed well covering shortly. Perhaps a lighthouse or a traditional wishing well ala The Ring.



We now have to run the water for 7 days non-stop to clear out the chlorine they put in to purify the water. One project down; 8000 more to go. I'm overheated and cranky, I will be at the beach now.

No comments:

Post a Comment