Tuesday, June 29, 2010

red white and black

Since I was a kid I have always loved black and white checkerboard flooring in the kitchen and have wanted a retro kitchen of my very own. Since our “kitchen” is currently constructed of plywood I took it upon myself to create my dream retro kitchen for about $42.

I started off by scrubbing and scrapping gunk off the existing plywood cabinets with mineral spirits. Instead of using primer I applied three coats of red paint.

It was my first time installing flooring and let me tell you; installing flooring on a non-level surface that doesn’t even have straight walls is a royal pain in the ass. It was a fun project though and if I could I would have ripped up all the flooring in the house and stick n peeled my way to a world of no carpet.

For a under $50 remodel I think the kitchen turned out pretty darn good. I would have loved for a richer candy apple red, but no one at the paint store seemed to be able to match the perfect red tone that I brought it. Oh well, in a year when we remove the kitchen/living room wall I will let the pros come in and install a kitchen with soapstone countertops and paneled cabinetry for a clean rustic look.


I will upload photos of the cute curtain I made and what the kitchen looks like once all the artwork, door knobs and appliances are in.


No comments:

Post a Comment